There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.
- Practice yoga, stretching or Pilates to stay flexible, and prevent the aches and stiffness that are often erroneously attributed to aging.
- Take a new class; never stop learning.
- Travel often. Visit the places you’ve always wanted to see. Don’t feel guilty about it.
- Keep up your appearance.
- Forget what you’re “supposed to do”. You do YOU.
- Learn a foreign language now. It’s makes you more interesting and keeps your mind sharp.
- Mentor someone younger. It’s a great way to help one another understand a different generation.
- Have regular facials, massages, acupuncture, etc. Self care is important at any age.
- Get dressed up and go out at least once a week. Make the effort. Raise your style standards and show up as the elegant woman that you are.
- Find role models to follow. Even as we age, we still need someone to admire and look up to.
- Find the balance between trying to look 20 and giving up on your appearance. Don’t worry about the latest Hollywood celeb who is 50 trying to look 20. Be and look elegant. You want respect not gossip.
- Don’t be afraid to fall in love again. It’s never too late.
- Don’t dress in a frumpy manner. Age is not an excuse to let yourself “go”.
- Keep an air of mystery. Let the younger generation put their lives on social media, not us.
- Sleep on quality mattresses.
- Continue volunteering. Those who are the happiest are those who give back the most. Find an organization you want to support and give your time and support to the cause.
- Realize that you’re more than just a mother/grandmother, father/grandfather and live where you want to live and do what you’ve always dreamed of doing
- Remember that age does not give you the right to say whatever is on your mind, courtesy still counts.
- Buy classic clothing of the best quality you can afford
- Tell people about the good things in your life, rather than the aches and pains. Trust me, no one wants to hear this.
- Drink champagne more often. You’ve earned it.
- Attempt one thing every year that you never thought you could do.
- Go for walks after dinner.
- Tell your children how proud you are of them and why.
Learn the art of graciousness